Thursday, May 17, 2007

Taylor Guitars

If you think hearing a Taylor Guitar is it, meaning its the best thing you have heard, I must say it isnt. Today I truly heard what professionals do with sound. The Taylor Guitar is made to have vibrations from the strings be projected from the guitar body, as well as from the hollow that all guitars have.

The way a Taylor is made is a trade secret. But we all know that the clarity of tone that is produced is THE best that one can ever hear. The fret board is so well made that strings even at gauge 12 is playable.

So our producer brought his Taylor for us to use for recording. His was just a normal Taylor 414 series but like all musicians who are crazy about sound, he added a pick up which cost about SGD$400. I have played a Taylor 414ce before, so I thought that its nothing new to me. The tone's the same, everything else is too.

When the guitar was setup in the studio and a sound check was being done did I realised my lack of knowledge in understanding sound. The pick up in the Taylor is considered to be damn good already. Plus the the guitar is looped into a preamp. I dont know how to spell the brand of the preamp now but it cost SGD$10,000. I'm amazed at what the preamp does. It makes the instrument sound fatter and in your face :) meaning that it feels as if the instrument is right infront of you. Damn nice I tell you. If you hear it from the CD its probably well mixed in already. But from the studio, just the guitar alone, the sweetness of the guitar is amplified. Crisp, clean and bright. Love it absolutely. Ryan played well too la, must give credit to him.

I'm damn inspired now to have my own studio, but till then, I hope I can work closely with the people at SoundAdvice.

No comments: