Thursday, May 10, 2007

Recording: Day one

I had only about 4 hours of sleep last night, or rather 4 hours of disturbed sleep. So its kinda like really not enough sleep at all. I woke up at 7.30ish in the morn to travel to the studio. I reached the studio at about 10.30am. That is how far away the studio is. So we were there and we started tweaking the drum. GOSH 10 mics, all individual tracking. Snare top and bottom are included, bass drum front and back skin are in too. THIS IS THE COOLEST ATTENTION GIVEN TO A DRUM I'VE EVER KNOWN!!! oh well this is the first time I've been to a recording studio too anyway, so I must say that its really really really cool!

Some things I've learnt:

1) Drum recording cannot be redone half way. Meaning patch in like other instruments when there is a mistake. If there is a screw up, the whole thing is to be redone. So a drummer must be discipline to be consistent and play well throughout.

2) The tone of a mix can be caused by ambiance mics. Eg, mics used to pick up the cymbals. These may cause the sound of the tom to weird.

3) Drums can be panned. Meaning that you can hear the drums left to right. I'm serious. If you roll from left to right, the speaker should output the same way too. Same goes for the cymbals. If the ride is on the right, it should come out of the right speaker. If the crash is in the left it should come out of the left speakers. That is how cool recording is. a well panned drum set up is very nice. when the drummer roll you can feel the motion in which he is moving. superb!

This has been a very fun day. The company is super crazy la. We talked cock when doing lighter stuffs, but when its time to be serious we are serious. Our engineers are cool peeps. We got a super pro producer. What more can we ask for man. For me, maybe a girl to share the Joy with ;P

Recording is super tiring too, even if you're not the one tracking. Maybe cause today we are settling the guide tracks so its a little more tiring than usual. The hours are super long and we are standing most of the time. But our drummer rocks man. His tracking is so good that most of the time we clear it under 4takes. Thanks to him we are ahead of schedule. That means that other instruments can have more time to track. Less stressful on the rest then.

I now know the difference between a 500bucks Elect Guitar and a 1000bucks Elect Guitar. The clarity of tone is like a big big big difference. Its addictive playing a good instrument. I'm hooked man. My guitar wont satisfy me soon.

Thank God for today. Its been VERY VERY good. All praise and glory be unto HIM.

I suddenly thought of my best buddy, nick's, msn nick. It says, " it isnt hard loving you cause you're beautiful." Man that is so true la. If the person is beautiful it isnt hard loving him/her ya? No wonder we are best buds, we think the same way. For me, eyes that can speak is very attractive. dimples are a plus point. nice facial expressions are quite a must too. probably that is why it isnt hard loving you. You are just so beautiful :)

Its late, and I'm tired. Tomorrow recording day two continues. I hope this album would be super nice. And I really pray that we remember who we are doing this for and not lose the focus.

No comments: