Monday, August 6, 2007

Dreams...

Well, Yes I've met Don Moen's drummer, Carl Albrecht. Carl has been a professional drummer and percussionist for over 30 years. He has a Bachelors of Music Degree in Composition and Arranging with an emphasis on percussion studies from Webster University in St. Louis, Mo. He has played on over 80 Integrity Music projects.

Carl has worked with such artist as Ron Kenoly, Don Moen, Paul Baloche, Lenny Le Blanc, Bob Fitts, Paul Wilbur, Alvin Slaughter, Darrell Evans, LeAnn Rimes, etc.
(http://www.carlalbrecht.com)

He was in Singapore for the Festival of Praise (3-5 Aug 07) with the Don Moen team and wanted to share some of his experience as a drummer in a worship band to the youth and drummers in Singapore. Thank God for Auntie Chris who had the contact for such a important event and Nigel, drum resource's boss for organising the whole event.

The first thing I've heard Carl shared was this. "Let me encourage those who are thinking of pursuing their studies in this area continue to do so" I was wondering if God was using him to tell me, dude, just serve your NS, dont worry about your study plan.

But more than just that, Carl taught us about double stroke, how it actually works, tunning, how you hit a cymbal properly, some training tips. He really told us steps he used to be a great drummer. Thank God for him. He is really a humble guy. No airs, nothing. I got him to sign on my TAMA sticks. =D

So now, I'm really thinking of studying my Sound engineering at SAE and then take a second degree in Composition and Arranging with an emphasis on percussion.

I went to the FOP last night. I was really very excited about it and in all truth be told, it wasn't that great. I rather have Hillsongs lead us in worship, rather than the concert style that Delirious? did. ok, they did lead us in worship in Our God Reigns, but I dont know why, it wasn't as impactful. Don Moen was sick, could hear the flu from his voice. But his team did great. leading the congregation in worship.

Well, if there were some things that I've taken home with me it would be that there must be passion in what we do. Passion = Fire. Some analogy used was like a BBQ. If there is no fire, the steak and sausages wont smell good. If there is no fire under the altar, the incense is merely dust. But with fire, sweet smell of incense rises up and fill the tabernacle with sweet aroma.

Secondly we have to give room for God. God doesn't want to just come and go. He wanna stay. We gotta give that room. A time to meet Him, to know Him. We must make that room out of what ever time we have.

Lastly, I felt the burden of Uniting Singapore in Worship. I mean it might seem like a 'I wanna be great and do this kinda thing' thing using God's name. But I really would like to see the nation unite in worship. In one voice singing songs of praises to Him. Its my dream now. To see the world uniting in worship. no stage nothing, as long as there is a team to lead the congregation to keep on singing. Pray I might be used mightily for God. Not in my own ways, but in ways that is according to His will.

No comments: